Operations Engineering Manager - Technology
Country : United Kingdom
Region : London
County : Greater London
Town : London
Category : Production - Quality
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
Working in close partnership with the brands, the team strive to be a catalyst for business transformation, showcasing industry leading technology solutions with the aim of making Arcadia as well known for how it uses technology as its brands are known for their fashion.
In these challenging times, how we use technology in order to continue to be able to reach our customers is vital. If you are looking for a new challenge where the work you do on a daily basis will give you immense exposure and the freedom to really make an impact then this could be the place for you!
Our Engineers work within a clear framework of accountability, ensuring substantial personal responsibility and promoting autonomy. Our platform strategy delivers cloud based infrastructure across all our digital touchpoints supporting an in-house written platform.
The role of Operations Engineering Manager is to manage the team of Site Reliability and DevOps Engineers to maintain the highest standards of operation, uptime and performance for the Arcadia Digital Platforms whilst at the same time embedding the practices of automation, speed and performance into our software engineering teams and delivery processes.
Day to Day
The Operations Engineering Squad's primary tasks are divided into three areas:
Site Reliability Engineering - Flawless customer experience
- Own and operate the cloud infrastructure for our in-house built e-commerce platform, exploiting real-time telemetry to prevent operational issues leading to poor customer experiences.
- Creating feedback loops to continuously eradicate errors from the platform
- Own and operate platform alerting, 3rd line incident response, post mortems.
- Capacity planning and performance improvements
- Designing and testing for failures to ensure the platform is resilient
- Ensuring the customer sensitive and payment data is safe and secured as it transits the platform
Cloud Infrastructure Support - Operational Excellence
- Support and maintain our wider digital services cloud infrastructure across in-house and 3rd party applications such as Customer Care, Order Management, CDN and CMS.
- Drive an automation first culture seeking to optimise and accelerate at every opportunity.
- Ensure the highest levels of uptime, performance and security are continuously maintained
DevOps - Focus Delivery Speed
- Own and operate the delivery pipeline, enabling rapid delivery by continuously pushing forward with our CI/CD transformation.
- Utilising release automation to assist the software engineers their eco-system.
- Owning environment creation and configuration wherever possible utilising infrastructure as code.
The Operations Engineering Manager supports this by:
- Implementing the Operations Engineering strategy for the Customer Domain, constructing and prioritising non functional requirements and tasks.
- Create/improve standards, build and deploy processes and contribute to a healthy SDLC.
- Ensuring technical solution designs are secure/scalable/maintainable/supportable.
- Working in an agile, cross functional team taking responsibility for the squad deliverables and quality.
- Resolving and moving blockers, brokering conversations with other squads/QAs to progress tasks.
- Line managing the Operations Engineering Team, measuring performance, defining platform and team KPIs and ensuring continual improvement
- Having the ability to be hands on and able to contribute to the technical debate.
- Coaching and mentor the wider engineering team to help drive a DevOps culture.
- Maintaining a keen eye on new technologies/innovation in the industry and leverage these to benefit the organization.
- Cloud compute - AWS Elastic Beanstalk, EC2, ElastiCache Redis, DynamoDB
- Code and Containers - Github, DockerHub
- Logging - NewRelic, ELK stack, Cloudwatch
- Networks - Akamai CDN and WAF, Cloudfront, Route 53
- Automation and configuration - Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible
- Some exposure to a broad and diverse range of web technologies such as NodeJS, ReactJS.