Developer / Senior Developer / Lead Developer
You know Next, but did you know we’re a FTSE-100 retail company employing over 43,000 people across the UK and Ireland. We’re the UK’s 2nd largest fashion retailer and for Kidswear we’re the market leader. At the last count we have over 540 stores, plus the Next Directory and it’s now possible to buy on-line from over 70 countries around the world! So we’ve gone global!
As a Developer , Senior Developer you’ll be required to understand and interpret technical specifications, and turn them into working code, using a mix of technologies. Ideally, you’ll have solid experience in the full development life cycle, including requirements gathering, systems / business analysis and technical development.
As a Lead Developer you’ll also work closely with the Development Project Manager to provide project leadership and direction to drive forward and deliver quality solutions across a variety of technologies. Acting as a technical expert and project lead within the business, you’ll be involved in the mentoring and support of other developers within the team. You’ll also ensure that all development and code follows best practice and meets the relevant industry standards.
About the Role
• Demonstrate analytical and programming skills across a range of platforms.
• Ability to interpret requirements into working code.
• Develop, test and implement code to the department and industry technical specifications and standards.
• Perform maintenance programming and correction of identified defects.
• Create, document and implement test plans.
• Produce timely documentation and ensure proposed solutions are fit for purpose.
• Work to plans / deadlines provided, escalating issues as appropriate.
• Provide ad-hoc analysis, reports and business support as required.
• Proactively improve existing skills, taking on new technical skills as appropriate, and continuously seek to expand business knowledge.
• Provide out of hours support on a rota basis.
• Ensure that IT and business users are aligned at all times on the project aims and deliverables.
• Ensure issues raised by business users are appropriately evaluated, prioritised and resourced.
• Ensure that communication to the business is professional, clear and appropriate.
• Build and maintain working relationships with key business users.
• Work closely with other systems teams to improve cross-team resolution of issues, where appropriate.
• SDLC. Software Development Lifecycle.
• A proven track record of feature level design, development and testing of architecturally robust and scalable technical solutions.
• Strong problem solving skills with the capability to analyse existing systems for enhancement whilst identifying risks and change impact.
• Microsoft C# / .NET Framework
• Microsoft SQL Server 2008+ T-SQL & Stored Procedures.
• XML / XMLT
• Desirable Technical Skills
• Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS)
• HTML 5 / CSS3
- Bonus Scheme
- Pension Scheme
- ShareSave Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Childcare Vouchers
- Staff Discount
- On-site Nursery