Anc Factory Manager
Africa New Confection (ANC) is a garment factory created in 2007 in Cotonou (Benin) and specialized in shirts and uniforms production. ANC is the first factory in Benin that successfully exported to the UK since 2016 and to the US since 2017.ANC now has a workforce of almost 100 workers and planning to double its workforce in the coming year. ANC source their export product through the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), a United States Trade Act, enacted in 2000 and renewed to 2025, which significantly enhances market access to the US for qualifying Sub-Saharan African (SSA) countries.
Ethical Apparel Africa (EAA) are a social enterprise based in West Africa delivering cost competitive, quality products whilst ensuring workers are respected, empowered and paid living wages. In Benin, EAA employs an expat Product Development Manager, a Quality Manager and an Account Manager. We work with West African factories to build technical and ethical standards to international standards. Our clients are international brands mostly from Europe and the USA interested in growing a manufacturing base in Africa with a positive social and environmental impact.
We have a great opportunity for someone with passion and desire to make a difference in clothing manufacturing to join ANC as a Factory Manager. This is the perfect role for someone wishing to challenge their expertise by helping to develop the industry on a new continent. The role will be based in Cotonou, Benin. This person will work closely with the EAA Technical team in Ghana and Benin as well as sharing knowledge with the Factory Managers at the different EAA partner factories.The role reports to the ANC CEO and owner but is funded through EAA.
- With the EAA Technical Development Manager, complete a risk assessment on each product proposed versus factory capability and capacity.
- Work alongside the EAA Technical Development Manager to ensure patterns provided can be made into samples or new patterns are created
- Assess and complete the operations required and factory efficiency to produce the CMT costing for each style requested by EAA based on efficiency, line balancing and production flow. Sign all costings off with the factory owner.
- Identify and work with the factory owner on any investment that would be needed to fulfil this sample order in production - i.e. machines/guides/training
- Recruit and train able sample machinists to complete samples to international standard and come up with product engineering suggestions to ease production lead time and complexity.
- Conduct pre-sample meetings and complete on time any samples requested in line with the EAA or client’s tech pack and quality standards.
- Quality check all samples leaving the factories and communicate to EAA Account teams any differences/substitutions versus the tech packs
- Continually recruit, develop and train the production and middle management team with EAA’s support from inbound raw materials through cutting, sewing, finishing, packing and QC to ensure export standards are respected and adhered to throughout the factory.
- Ensure multiskilling within the factory is in place to cover any absenteeism.
- Work with the factory owner to assess capacity required well ahead of time and work with EAA on lead times required.
- Analyse products by operation breakdown and organise/balance production line to produce according to international standards.
- Lead systematic pre-production meetings with the management team to ensure all production risks are identified and mitigated before production begins.
- Ensure achievement of daily production output targets and all key critical path milestones through incentive programmes and continual training.
- Lead production team to identify problem root causes and develop effective solutions to improve factory readiness for future international orders (in close collaboration with EAA).
- Focus on building capacity within the local management team for the improvement of production and quality systems through continuous learning and training.
- Manage each item in production to completion on time, right first time.
- Assess each production run after completion to identify areas for change or improvement for next time.
- Ensure the ANC inventory and trims store is always up to date with supplies ordered and in place before they run out.
- Ensure all product safety rules are followed throughout production especially broken needle and metal free policies.
- Work with the EAA compliance team to uphold and consistently improve health & safety and ethical compliance within the factory.
- Ensure machinery is consistently maintained on a regular cycle
- Actively use any leftover fabric/trims to create a zero waste environment.
- Work with the factory HR and compliance team to ensure all international and EAA social compliance standards are met and continually improved
- Work with the worker’s committee to come up with new ideas to improve the factory environment
- Influence the factory owner to drive change and international operational excellence
In all the above to work alongside, train and build capacity within the teams to independently produce for the international standards.
Fluent in French and English
Experience in production management, team management and training (minimum 10 years’ experience)
Experience of working with Western brands from the USA or Europe
Experience of driving a factory forward through training and influence to achieve improved efficiency and worker satisfaction.
Previous working/living experience in a developing country, ideally in Africa
Exceptional communication and presentation skills across cultures
Ability to work independently on self-directed projects with an entrepreneurial attitude
Passion for working in an enterprise with a social mission and willingness to build local capacity
Passion for training local employees and building capacity
Ability to think critically, work hard, learn and progress
Evidence of the following characteristics: pro-active, self aware; resilient and adaptable; persistent and resourceful; able to work under pressure and respect deadlines, apt at both strengthening relationships and resolving problems, poised, active listener; fun to work with; full of integrity; ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment